11.20.2007

The Lists

Things We Can Do In Tata
1. Learn about medicine differently
2.
Compare two healthcare systems
3.
Health education
4. Experience truly rural traditional medicine
5.
Live in a country where diarrhea is the number one killer
6.
Live in a country with a king
7.
Hear the call to prayer five times a day
8.
Walk through a grove of palm trees
9.
Be special because we’re white
10.
Go to a hammam (communal bath)
11.
Experience Ramadan
12. Participate in Berber dance
13.
See nomads
14.
Have to stop for camels on the side of the road
15.
Take a land rover 50-km into the desert mountains
16.
Speak Berber
17.
Learn Berber and Arabic through daily life via context clues
18.
Have our language ability determine our sense of worth
19.
Have total reliance on a community

Things We Can’t Do In Tata
1. Rent movies
2.
Practice our religion within a community setting
3.
Tell people what religion we are
4.
Go to a concert
5. Drive
6.
Go out alone at night
7.
Speak English
8.
Have strong male friendships
9.
Wear shorts
10.
Wear jeans
11.
Use a phone anytime we want
12.
Understand everything being said around us
13.
Date
What These Women Think
1. I am a virgin.
2.
My father decides my every move.
3.
My father is bad because my parents are divorced.
4.
My mother is basically of no use now. She’s used.
5.
I’ve never had a boyfriend.
6.
I don’t smoke.
7.
I don’t drink.
8.
I don’t wear jeans.
9.
I eat with my hands.
10.
I wipe my ass with them too.
What These Women Know
1. I have three brothers, one sister.
2.
I have parents but they’re divorced and my dad’s remarried.
3.
I’m American and speak English.
4.
I do something in the healthcenter but they don’t know what
5.
I will live here for two years.
6.
I’m not Muslim, but I’m fasting.
7.
I believe in one God and pray in my head
8.
I’m not married. I don’t want a husband yet.
9.
I’m 22 years old, the oldest in my family
10.
I have a lot of friends that write me letters
11.
I can read and write and know a little French
12.
I leave a lot and go to Tata
13.
I don’t cook. I eat at the Karaz’ house
14.
I’m not afraid of being alone.
15.
I don’t wear this scarf at home.

What These Women Don’t Know or Don’t Understand
1. I shower at home everyday with hot running water.
2.
I have a machine to wash my clothes.
3.
I have a machine to dry my clothes.
4.
I have a machine to dispose of my food.
5.
I have a machine to make my food cold.
6.
I have a machine to wash my dishes.
7.
I have a machine to record my phone messages.
8.
I have a machine to record my music.
9.
I go to bars.
10.
I party.
11.
I’m very loose by their standards and would be kicked out of here in a second if they had a clue.
12.
I date and sleep in the same bed with someone, sometimes. It’s my choice and I can say no and someone will listen.
13.
I don’t hit kids when they’re bad.
14.
I don’t take my shoes off before entering a room.
15.
I swim and drive, wearing a bikini top and short shorts.
16.
I play sports.
17.
It’s impolite to chew with your mouth open.
18.
It’s impolite to burp out loud.
19.
I say “God bless you” when someone sneezes.
20.
I support myself and don’t live with my parents.
21.
My mother, my brother, and my father all live in different states, and Morocco is the size of one state.
22.
There are people that starve in America and are poor.
23. I am in control of every decision I make and my choices are endless

No comments: