1.28.2008

Why does it hurt to open hearts?

Doing karate moves on me in the kitchen, he said to his mother, look at her...American, as if saying how the fuck did I end up with such a thing. It was nice to hear her laugh and take my side when he yelled for me to clean.

I took two codeine and a Benedryl last night to pass out. I was absolutely exhausted from these last few days. Today, standing over the wall, looking down into the gallery with his coffee in hand, K looked at me squating against my packed bags. As I put almond oil through my curls, he said, did you know I didn’t eat yesterday. No lunch, no dinner last night. All I did was cry.

I asked him last night while walking to the ocean, why does it hurt to love another person? Why does it hurt to open our hearts? He said if it didn’t hurt, it wouldn’t be love.

No comments: