11.12.2007

There's Plenty of Time


October 18, 1995 Tata

A new day and a new morning. I’m going back up to Essaouira in a few weeks. The world of K is a big plush sofa I could sink right into.

Meanwhile, I’m on my way back out to the village, waiting for the taxi to pick me up. I spent this last weekend on a vaccination drive in the mountains. We went to Aguinane, 48 km from my village, up into the Desert Mountains. It’s a two-hour drive down a rocky unpaved road. It seems like there’s nothing out there but rock and hot sun until you turn the side of a mountain and find a whole moving world of green. Three villages are set into either side of two mountains, with a palm oasis set into the crevasses of the two mountains, extending down into and covering the valley. The houses are two and three stories high, painted all different colors. There are power lines going from house to house and streetlights and satellites on rooftops. The men of this village work in France. No one’s hurting for food or clothes out here. Amazing how secluded they are from the rest of the world.

No comments: